Monday, June 8, 2009

Meeting new Neighbors



It's always interesting meeting new neighbors that have children. Your kids immediately introduce themselves and become best friends within a matter a minutes. Which if you think about it, parents and adults should follow these simple rules about meeting new people. Kids have no preconception of who they are about to meet, what they look like, how they dress, and what type of career or job they have. Kids simply say "hi my name is" and the rest is shall we say history. "KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid" would be the acronym I would use to describe how to meet new people. The world would be so much better off if we used it more.

As it turns out, our neighbors seem to be very sweet and have children almost the same age as ours. We have let our daughter go roller skating with them at the local skating rink, and they seem to get along very well. It seems to spark the whole neighborhood when new kids are thrown into the mix with the kids that have been around a while.

I was almost thinking when they moved in, are they going to be neighbors from the movie The Burbs. A family that has no common thread of ordinary at all. Thank goodness everything turned out alright and they are very nice. It is shocking that the kids are so well mannered. You can tell a lot about the parents if the kids act kind and are brought up right. It seems that when you have a strong presence of both parents, that the children are very stable and well mannered.

Well enough of my writing for now.

Just remember to meet new neighbors and people with open arms and open hearts, you never know they might turn out to be your best friends.

Take Care,

8 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Steve,

SO true what you write. I wish as adults we were more open to the way kids meet each other. I know we would certainly have more than enough friends as our kids do.

I completely agree with everything you have written. Kudos to you for putting the period on this sentence.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Carol said...

Great advice on how to meet new neighbors. I think it's important to not have pre-conceived notions and go with a hopeful and happy attitude.

In recent years, I tried to make it a point to always bring something homemade with a card attached that has our phone number in it. I always invite them to come over if they need anything as well.

Warren Baldwin said...

Hey Steven,
I just linked here from your wife's blog. I'm looking forward to following. wb

RCUBEs said...

Just like when trying to find friends we might as well start by being one, I think it goes the same in meeting new neighbors: "Be one."

You just never know in what way a simple "hello" brings to a neighbor's heart. I say hello anyway even if they don't say it back. That is the challenge for me but in my heart, I know that I'm pleasing no one but God. And that's what matters to me. God bless.

God a Have Faith said...

I definately agree! If we can somehow show our neighbors and friends that kindness, acts of love and compassion for others will in some way "pay it forward". Only good things can come from it. Thank you all for posting your comments.

Billy Coffey said...

Great post, Steve. It's easy to see new neighbors as potential problems, especially when they're so close. But it's better to give them the benefit of the doubt, and it's always better to make them feel welcome.

christy rose said...

Neighbors are a part of most people's lives, unless you live in the sticks with no one around. And, it is important that that part of our world sees Jesus in us. Jesus is the best friend.

LisaShaw said...

Excellent message!

The Word is clear that if we want to have friends we must show ourselves friendly. That includes the neighborhood.