Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"Were having a Heat Wave!"


Summer has hit and hit hard!

It is funny that so far the temperatures are not as hot as last year, although we are not really into the middle of summer yet. It just seems like the minute you walk outside you suddenly have all of your energy drained from you as if you have a water spigot on the top of your head that is open and all of the water has poured out all over the sidewalk!

It has just been that kind of week. I don't want to get up early and water the yard, but I know that if it is not done by 6am then we are doomed to stay out in the heat to water. I know certain counties near us are already doing water rationing days where you can only water your yard on Tuesdays and Thursdays I believe. I know that as a whole, we need to do better at conserving water.

Putting on water flow saving devices on all spigots and faucets.

Lower the time we water down by a minute on each valve.

Shower one or two minutes less each day.

Only wash our cars unless it is absolutely necessary!

Small steps like these per family households can add up to tens of thousands of gallons saved each year.

We try as much as we can to save on our water as we live in the desert, but there is only so much that can be done. I can't really afford to rip out my front lawn to put in drought tolerant desert plants. I am sure in the long run it would be beneficial to do so, but my family does not want to live in the desert for much longer. We are looking for more of an environment where we get rain, snow and have 4 seasons. Not just HOT or COLD.

So for now we are just as they say "Dealing with it!" and watering our lawn enough to where it does not look brown and not too much where like our neighbor does not care if his lawn is watered three times a day and has several sprinkler leaks!

"Okay don't even get me started on that!"

So for now we are just trying to escape and/or survive the heat by staying inside.

So, anyway hope everyone has better climates than we do!

Have a great summer!

3 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Steve,

I too am ready to move away, perhaps Siberia? Oh wait that is a bit too far. Ummm the North Pole?

Perhaps the Bering Sea and Dutch Harbor where it just seems like it is snowing all the time.

I guess for now we need a walk in freezer so we can spend our summers inside.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

RCUBEs said...

It is hard when it's too hot! My hubby and I are thinking of doing the same thing - get rid of the lawns and either put drought resistant plants or just gravel to save water.
We can just try our best...But don't forget to stay hydrated. God bless you and your family.

Warren Baldwin said...

West Kansas has been hot, hot, hot. Washing the car only when needed? That might be once a summer!